Soundscape: “Green Aisles”- Real Estate
Soundscape: “Green Aisles”- Real Estate
Happy Earth Day! If you haven’t started already today is a great day to kick off being more environmentally friendly! Here is a little listology with some easy tips to help get you started.
1) Use homemade concoctions for household cleaning. For most cleaning tasks all it takes is a little white vinegar, baking soda and lemon.
2) Re-use old glass jars for storage. Clean them out really well, and use them for future food storage, a pen holder, or even a vase
3) Buy a re-useable cup and bring it to work when brewing at home or to your favorite coffee shop. Many coffee shops like Starbucks not only offer the re-useable cup, but also a discount when you bring it back to fill with your favorite drink.
4) When looking for countertops, fabric or any other kind of home project, ask your stores if there are any remanent pieces available. Most times someone cut the wrong thing, but it might be the right one for you and for a much more affordable price.
5) Bike to work. Great exercise and earth friendly!
6) Donate! Whether it is clothing to your local re-sale shop or things like old pots and pans that maybe can’t be donated to a shop, but can be put in the re-cycling bin.
7) Always stash re-useable bags in your car or at work so you never forget or for when those unplanned, last minute trips to the store come up.
8) Plant a garden. When putting pots together you can use packing peanuts at the bottom to ensure better drainage and make pots lighter and easier to move around.
9) Unsubscribe to any fliers, shop advertisements or papers that you don’t read.
10) Shop farmers markets. Not only are you eating healthier, you are also supporting local farmers. Eating more fresh fruits and veggies and less meat is also earth friendly since it takes 600 gallons just to produce one hamburger and it never hurts to change it up once in awhile!
Even using one of these tips you are making a difference!
Soundscape: “Entertainment” - Phoenix
One of my many Record Store Day purchases today was Phoenix, “Entertainment” limited edition 7” with a B-side. I have been a fan of these guys for a long time and although I have strayed a bit, the latest single from their upcoming release, Bankrupt! (out April 23) has brought me back. It’s a synthy anthem with Thomas Mars signature vocals that will make you want to jump up and down in the middle of a summer festival and have this on repeat.
Record Store Day. It’s the quest along with fellow music lovers to find your favorite artists exclusive, limited edition releases. It’s the checking of your list and deciding, it’s getting in some much needed music talk with a friend while you chillingly wait in a long line, and best of all it’s when at your favorite independent record store and they say, “Yep, we’ve got that one.”
Soundscape: “Recover” - Chvrches
Something as bold as a black and white color story needs an equally strong sound. Enter Glasgow’s synth pop trio, Chvrches. “Recover”, the opening track on their latest EP, joins a sense of simplicity in white with a bit of complexity. It’s a hint of the bold, yet heartfelt in Lauren Mayberry’s vocals as she sings, “And if I recover, will you be my comfort? or it can be over, or we can just leave it here, so you can remember, choose any colour, I’ve got the answer, open and follow…” We will. We choose black + white and Chvrches to provide the sound. This EP is an anthem for a classic, yet edgy space.
ON THE WISHLIST: BLACK + WHITE
Soundscape: “3 Days” - Rhye
As you’re letting your space show it’s romantic side, there is nothing more airy and beautiful to have playing than Los Angeles duo, Rhye. Mike Milosh lends his sexy, soothing vocals along with gorgeous strings and percussion with a bit of a synthy side that will make any room dreamy and poetic.
LISTOLOGY #456: Rockin Romance
Looking for: a romantic, charming, creative, sophisticated…space.
Bringing in romantic elements into your space doesn’t have to be reserved just for a special occasion nor does it have to be overly girly with thoughts of pink and lace. It’s about being unique, whimsical, soft and light. Nothing over the top, just a space that you can relax in that is fresh and inviting. Of course, the bedroom seems the first place to start, but this is something that can be implemented anywhere.
1) Color Palette. Light, airy, soft and fresh. The pastel palette for this Spring is perfect for this kind of space. Layer the colors or keep it monochromatic using just one.
2)Texture and pattern. Think soft and luxurious in everything from blankets, pillows to window treatments.
3) Mirrors. Using one or a grouping not only makes a wall go from boring to making a statement, but makes a small space appear larger. Mix and match shapes and sizes, new and vintage to really make it stand out.
4) Flowers/plants. Not only does it make me happy when I have fresh flowers or live plants in the house, but it adds color and just a hint of romance. Putting them in different shape bottles or colored vases adds even more color and whimsy.
5) Soft lighting. There are so many lamp options to choose no matter which room you are making over. Task, pendant, bedside lamps.. Whichever one you choose just make sure the lamps are equally distributed. Using a 40 or 60 watt bulb offers soft, filtered light to make the room glow. Keep in mind the size of the lighting fixture for the room. Adding candles is also another way to always have the perfect amount of soft illumination.
6) Metallics/Brass/Lacquer. Using a few metallic, brass or lacquer pieces around your space adds just a bit of romanticism and when mixed with different finishes or textures like wood makes these glossy items really shine.
7) Organized and clean. Keeping your space organized, keeps it inviting and makes someone really take in all the features of the space.
8) A focal point. Whether it’s a really great bed, sofa or chair make sure its dressed to impress with lush linens and beautiful fabrics.
9) Personalized. Make sure your space is your own. Using personal, even sentimental items to add to your space. Photos from a getaway, a favorite vintage piece with a story, items that conjure up good feelings and happiness make for a space you never want to leave and want others to see.
10) Light + airy. Keep window treatments and furniture not too heavy. It will give the sense of airiness and will let the light shine in. Mix and match furniture, delicate pieces with a bold color or finish are perfect for a romantic space. Make sure your window treatments let some of the outside in, because there isn’t better light to warm up your space than one from a sunset on a warm, breezy night.
Soundscape: “Compliment Your Soul” - Dan Croll
As you go layer by layer putting the components to your new(ish) bed together, a once mundane task now becomes exciting. As you anticipate your retreat to it, put on this song. Then put it on again when you wake up and make the bed. If making your bed doesn’t give you enough good vibes to get your day started right, this song definitely will!
Since we spend 1/3 of our life in bed this should be a place to invest some money. But if it isn’t in your budget to make your bed one of 5-star hotel status just yet, there are some things you can do in the meantime. It comes down to making sure you have the essentials and ways to make these bed basics feel not so basic. There are ways to do this without going overboard and blowing your future new bed savings. Your bed is your sanctuary, the place you just want to fall into and get some zzzz’s, but also you want it to not only feel good, but look good too. Here is a little listology, after doing the following, please don’t read future listologies while in bed…wouldnt want you to fall asleep mid-sentence while wrapped up in your comfy new bedding.
Things you will need:
1) A mattress pad. The thicker the better. It can either be a foam one, or a feather bed. When you’re not dealing with the best mattress, this makes all the difference in the world.
2) Sheet set. A fitted sheet, flat sheet and pillowcases. Of course, everyone would love an 800 thread count set, but what if shelling out the money for that is not a possibility and the $9.99, 200 thread count feels like cardboard. There is hope! You can still go for a lower thread count, but make sure the sheets are organic cotton. This has been an amazing discovery without spending a ton of money and feels like you’re sleeping on a much higher thread count.
3) A comforter, quilt cover or duvet. Whichever one you choose is your preference. Gone are the days of worrying of having a comforter in a duvet that wasn’t distributed properly after one nights sleep. There are much better options out there and it is the perfect one if you like changing around different looks.
4) Pillows. Pick the right sleeping pillow for you. Nothing is worse than the fluffy pillow at the store turning flat soon after you purchased it. Firmer pillows for back sleepers and fluffier ones for side sleepers.
5) Focal point. Remember your bed is the focal point of the room and all its components are it’s accessories. Invest in good linens. Iron your flat sheet, I know I can hear the sighs already, but it really makes the difference when your putting the bed altogether and just looks and feels nicer. Tuck your flat sheet corners underneath the mattress, and leave about 14” of the flat sheet out at the top to fold back and over your comforter. If you’re using a decorative patterned sheet, put the decorative side down, so when you fold over it will show.
6) Palette. Try and keep to one color pallette, but play with different patterns and textures with your bedding. By using a decorative throw or layering other blankets and pillows gives you the freedom to try different things. For layering decorative and sleeping pillows I use the 3-2-1 thought of 3 pillows propped up against the headboard, then 2 sleeping pillows and one decorative one in the center.
7) DIY’ing it. Get real ambitious and make your own headboard! It may be a bit time consuming, but a lot easier than you think and will save you a lot of money going the DIY route. Think outside the box using items such as an old fireplace mantle, oversized mirror, old doors, shelving or reclaimed wood pieces. You can also fake a headboard with decals or drawing one with paint.
8) Show it off. Lastly, try and get in the habit of making your bed in the morning. It always seems to start my day off right. It makes for better productivity, good energy and happiness. And of course, it just looks better for showing off your new bedding!