Soundscape: “Green Aisles”- Real Estate
Soundscape: “Green Aisles”- Real Estate
Soundscape: “Entertainment” - Phoenix
One of my many Record Store Day purchases today was Phoenix, “Entertainment” limited edition 7” with a B-side. I have been a fan of these guys for a long time and although I have strayed a bit, the latest single from their upcoming release, Bankrupt! (out April 23) has brought me back. It’s a synthy anthem with Thomas Mars signature vocals that will make you want to jump up and down in the middle of a summer festival and have this on repeat.
Soundscape: “Recover” - Chvrches
Something as bold as a black and white color story needs an equally strong sound. Enter Glasgow’s synth pop trio, Chvrches. “Recover”, the opening track on their latest EP, joins a sense of simplicity in white with a bit of complexity. It’s a hint of the bold, yet heartfelt in Lauren Mayberry’s vocals as she sings, “And if I recover, will you be my comfort? or it can be over, or we can just leave it here, so you can remember, choose any colour, I’ve got the answer, open and follow…” We will. We choose black + white and Chvrches to provide the sound. This EP is an anthem for a classic, yet edgy space.
ON THE WISHLIST: BLACK + WHITE
Soundscape: “3 Days” - Rhye
As you’re letting your space show it’s romantic side, there is nothing more airy and beautiful to have playing than Los Angeles duo, Rhye. Mike Milosh lends his sexy, soothing vocals along with gorgeous strings and percussion with a bit of a synthy side that will make any room dreamy and poetic.
LISTOLOGY #456: Rockin Romance
Looking for: a romantic, charming, creative, sophisticated…space.
Bringing in romantic elements into your space doesn’t have to be reserved just for a special occasion nor does it have to be overly girly with thoughts of pink and lace. It’s about being unique, whimsical, soft and light. Nothing over the top, just a space that you can relax in that is fresh and inviting. Of course, the bedroom seems the first place to start, but this is something that can be implemented anywhere.
1) Color Palette. Light, airy, soft and fresh. The pastel palette for this Spring is perfect for this kind of space. Layer the colors or keep it monochromatic using just one.
2)Texture and pattern. Think soft and luxurious in everything from blankets, pillows to window treatments.
3) Mirrors. Using one or a grouping not only makes a wall go from boring to making a statement, but makes a small space appear larger. Mix and match shapes and sizes, new and vintage to really make it stand out.
4) Flowers/plants. Not only does it make me happy when I have fresh flowers or live plants in the house, but it adds color and just a hint of romance. Putting them in different shape bottles or colored vases adds even more color and whimsy.
5) Soft lighting. There are so many lamp options to choose no matter which room you are making over. Task, pendant, bedside lamps.. Whichever one you choose just make sure the lamps are equally distributed. Using a 40 or 60 watt bulb offers soft, filtered light to make the room glow. Keep in mind the size of the lighting fixture for the room. Adding candles is also another way to always have the perfect amount of soft illumination.
6) Metallics/Brass/Lacquer. Using a few metallic, brass or lacquer pieces around your space adds just a bit of romanticism and when mixed with different finishes or textures like wood makes these glossy items really shine.
7) Organized and clean. Keeping your space organized, keeps it inviting and makes someone really take in all the features of the space.
8) A focal point. Whether it’s a really great bed, sofa or chair make sure its dressed to impress with lush linens and beautiful fabrics.
9) Personalized. Make sure your space is your own. Using personal, even sentimental items to add to your space. Photos from a getaway, a favorite vintage piece with a story, items that conjure up good feelings and happiness make for a space you never want to leave and want others to see.
10) Light + airy. Keep window treatments and furniture not too heavy. It will give the sense of airiness and will let the light shine in. Mix and match furniture, delicate pieces with a bold color or finish are perfect for a romantic space. Make sure your window treatments let some of the outside in, because there isn’t better light to warm up your space than one from a sunset on a warm, breezy night.
Soundscape: “Compliment Your Soul” - Dan Croll
As you go layer by layer putting the components to your new(ish) bed together, a once mundane task now becomes exciting. As you anticipate your retreat to it, put on this song. Then put it on again when you wake up and make the bed. If making your bed doesn’t give you enough good vibes to get your day started right, this song definitely will!
Soundscape: “Closer”- Tegan and Sara
The new release, Heartthrob from Canadian twin sisters, Tegan and Sara has made so many of my mornings and continued to be on repeat throughout the day. It will definitely help you conquer organizing your bathroom and every other room in the house too. Yep, it’s that powerful. This album is a little more pop driven than past releases, but if anyone could pull that off lyrically and musically and make such a fun record it’s Tegan and Sara.
Soundscape: “Say That”- Toro y Moi
If anyone could make the tearing down wallpaper process a fun one it’s Of Monsters and Men. Even if you aren’t tackling a home improvement project, everyone needs a little icelandic indie pop in their life, especially on a Monday.
Soundscape: “Little Talks” - Of Monsters and Men